The importance of a good television interview cannot be overstated. Everyone knows the power of television and that it often reaches far more people than other media forms. In addition, a television interview can be repurposed for online marketing and social media outlets. With advances in technology, more television interviews, especially on networks and affiliates in major cities are being conducted via Skype. For the television networks and stations this cuts down on production costs. For the interviewee it means more preparation for the interview.
Here are some things to consider when doing a Skype interview:
- Check Your Connection– Test your Wifi connection in advance. Make sure that it working and that signal is strong.
- Make Sure Your Video Is On – The worst thing that can happen on a Skype interview is for the video not to be working.
- Consider Your Background– Keep it simple and branded, if possible. A background with the company logo is perfect. Also blue and green backgrounds are ideal. Avoid red backgrounds.
- Avoid Bare Walls– Add visual interest, but be relevant to the topic at hand. Bookshelves are always a nice touch.
- Secure Your Location; Lock the Door– Make sure no one interrupts you during the interview.
- Wear Solid Colors– Busy patterns move and jump on camera. Dress just as you would if you were in studio.
- Look Into The Webcam– Look at the viewer; not yourself. This is critical as you want to come across to viewers as direct and as if you were in the studio.
- Create Space; Sit Back– Don’t get too close to the webcam.
- Center Yourself– Be sure you are in the center of the screen.
- Check Your Lighting– Make sure you are well-lit and not in shadow. At the same time don’t overdo it. Shut any blinds or curtains to avoid any sun glare.
- Turn Off All Notifications– You don’t want your inbox pinging you or sounds going off that will disrupt your flow and distract the audience.
- Use a Professional Skype Name– Remember this is how the television station or network will contact you. You want your name to reflect you and your brand. Avoid Skype names like Partyanimal or OnforaBuzz.
Skype interviews are the way all of television is headed. By following these simple rules you will guarantee yourself a successful interview that will reach potential customers and be able to be utilized on social media channels.